I won't spend too much time on it, but I want to point out some very relevant observations from it.
- Why are the lights timed only for cars?
- How do freeways effect the timing?
- Differently designed crossings can prioritize pedestrians over cars.
- Cities have different strategies and priorities for their intersections.
- What are the land uses near the intersection?
It's a common problem in transportation planning as I see it in Texas. There are two questions in regards to transportation planning that are similar, but have two totally different answers.
How can we move as many people as possible? or How can we move as many cars as possible?
In Texas as a whole and Dallas in particular, the second question is almost always the one asked.